InComEss – Innovative polymer based composite systems for high efficient Energy Scavenging and Storage
InComEss seeks at developing efficient smart materials with energy harvesting and storage capabilities combining advanced polymer based-composite materials into a novel single/multisource concept to harvest electrical energy from mechanical energy and/or waste heat ambient sources. The project will demonstrate its applicability in key sectors and applications, SHM and vehicle monitoring in automotive, aerospace and building, presenting the highest market potential.
3 cost-effective and green Εnergy Harvesting Systems (EHSs) configurations will be realized through the combination of high performance piezoelectric (PE), thermoelectric (TE) and ThermoPiezoelectric (TPE) generators and monolithic supercapacitors (SCs) to power selected wireless sensors nodes to be implemented in different IoT scenarios for Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) in buildings and aircrafts and accurate location and monitoring of vehicles through GPS and MEMS sensing.
- Develop advanced lead-free PieZoElectric (PZE) composite materials containing BaTiO3 or ZnO piezoelectric nanoparticles embedded into a low-dielectric polymer matrix, to achieve piezoelectric voltage coefficient values above 250 mV m N−1 on piezoelectric ceramic composites fabricated in the form of films and fibres
- Develop high-efficient and high-performance p- and n- type polymer composites with enhanced ThermoElectric (TE) characteristics, leading to Seebeck coefficients above 70 V/K together maximal power factor of 8 W/(m∙K2), in a range up to maximum 350ºC operating temperatures, by using innovative electrically conductive polymer composites (CPCs) and intrinsically conductive polymers (ICPs).
- Develop high-power-and-energy density polymer-based composite SuperCapacitors (SCs) with increased capacitances above 400 F/g together high energy densities of about 2 Wh/kg, by combining pseudocapacitive materials and graphitic carbon structures like graphite nanoplates (GNPs).
- CIRCE will lead of WP8, Within this WP, CIRCE takes the leadership of T8.2 and T8.3
- CIRCE will act as participant in the following WPs: WP1, T1.2; WP9 and WP10