CIRCE is already preparing for the European Union’s new R&D framework programme Horizon Europe, which will pick up from Horizon 2020 once it is completed by the Commission, the Parliament and the Council.
The European Commission has forecast a TOTAL BUDGET OF €100 BILLION for the 2021-2027 period, which will be divided into three pillars:
- Excellent Science → €800 m
- Global Challenges and Industrial Competitiveness → €800 m
- Innovative Europe → €500 m
Pillars 1 and 3 – Excellent Service (basic research) and Innovative Europe (close-to-market innovation) – will follow a predominantly ‘bottom-up’ approach, whilst Pillar 2 will tackle research and innovation activities on a cross-sector basis through five clusters:
- Health (€7.7 bn).
- Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society (€2.8 bn).
- Digital and Industry (€15 bn).
- Climate, Energy and Mobility (€15 bn).
- Food and Natural Resources (€10 bn).
Updated information about this programme can be found on the European Commission website: ec.europa.eu: ec.europa.eu