CIRCE is already preparing for the European Union’s new R&D framework programme Horizon Europe, which will pick up from Horizon 2020 once it is completed by the Commission, the Parliament and the Council.
Figures of the Horizon Europe Programme
The European Commission has forecast a TOTAL BUDGET OF €100 BILLION for the 2021-2027 period, which will be divided into three pillars:
- Excellent Science → €800 m
- Global Challenges and Industrial Competitiveness → €800 m
- Innovative Europe → €500 m
Budget for the research and innovation activities
Pillars 1 and 3 – Excellent Service (basic research) and Innovative Europe (close-to-market innovation) – will follow a predominantly ‘bottom-up’ approach, whilst Pillar 2 will tackle research and innovation activities on a cross-sector basis through five clusters:
- Health (€7.7 bn).
- Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society (€2.8 bn).
- Digital and Industry (€15 bn).
- Climate, Energy and Mobility (€15 bn).
- Food and Natural Resources (€10 bn).
Updated information about this programme can be found on the European Commission website: ec.europa.eu: ec.europa.eu