AERIAL-CORE – AERIAL COgnitive integrated multi-task Robotic system with Extended operation range and safety
Dates: December 2019 –November 2024
Project website: https://aerial-core.eu/
Leader: ETRA S.A.
Grant agreement number: 872734
The main objective of AERIAL-CORE is the development of core technology modules and an integrated aerial cognitive robotic system that will have unprecedented capabilities on the operational range and safety in the interaction with people, or Aerial Co-Workers (ACW), for applications such as the inspection and maintenance of large infrastructures. The project will integrate aerial robots with different characteristics to meet the requirements of:
(1) Long range (several kilometres) and local very accurate (subcentimetre) inspection of the infrastructure capability;
(2) Maintenance activities based on aerial manipulation involving force interactions; and
(3) Aerial co-working safely and efficiently helping human workers in inspection and maintenance.
AERIAL-CORE technology modules will be based on Cognitive Mechatronics and apply cognitive capabilities to aerial morphing in order to combine long range endurance and hovering for local observations, manipulation involving force interactions, and co-working with humans. The project will develop:
(1) Cognitive functionalities for aerial robots including perception based on novel sensors, such as event cameras, and data fusion techniques,
learning, reactivity, fast on-line planning, and teaming;
(2) Aerial platforms with morphing capabilities, to save energy in long range flights and perform a very accurate inspection;
(3) Cognitive aerial manipulation capabilities, including manipulation while flying, while holding with one limb, and while hanging or perching to improve accuracy and develop greater forces;
(4) Cognitive safe aerial robotic co-workers capable of physical interaction with people; and
(5) Integrated aerial robotic system for the inspection and maintenance of large infrastructures.
The system will be demonstrated in electrical power system inspection and maintenance, which is an application with a huge economic
impact that also has implications in the safety of workers and in wildlife conservation.
CIRCE is involved in the development of a wireless inductive charging platform for the drone
The aero drone charger consists in a flexible, plug & play battery charger oriented for aerial drone power lines inspection applications. The overall objective is to place several devices through a power line to increase the effective drone range. The charger will be connected to the power grid through a magnetic coupling system, avoiding any modification in the power line installation.