FLEXIGRID - Interoperable solutions for implementing holistic FLEXIbility services in the distribution GRID
With the aim of increasing the project’s replication potential, 8 use cases have been identified to address EU most common distribution grid problems. These use cases are represented by 4 complementary demo-sites ready to upgrade FLEXIGRID solutions towards TRL8: a rural and peri-urban network in Spain with a RES share of 39%; a resort in the Greek Island of Thasos able to integrate 10% of RES; an urban grid in the city of Zagreb with congested areas, and an isolated valley in the South-Tyrol region of Italy with more than 50% of hydroelectric energy.
To reach the project objectives, the consortium counts with partners representing all the energy system value-chain. In this sense, 2 RTOs and 2 Universities will work together with 5 technology providers to develop the project solutions and deploy them in the four demo-sites, represented by 3 DSOs and 2 large companies. Finally, 2 associations will ensure the exploitation and dissemination of the project results along the EU energy community. Finally, FLEXIGRID will support the ‘Clean Energy for All’ Europeans package while actively cooperating with BRIDGE initiative thanks to the presence of the consortium in 10 of its projects Page 3
- O1: To improve the power system flexibility by enhancing the grid hosting capacity of RES through DR, P2X, storage of electricity and variable generation towards the energy network decarbonisation.
- O2: To increase the observability, controllability and automation of the network systems for the improvement of both the security and resilience of the grid.
- O3: To mitigate short-term and long-term congestions in the distributed grid from an economic efficient point of view thus reducing the cost of the European energy transition.
- O4: To ensure the interoperability and compatibility of the developed solutions with the different platforms used by the European DSOs guaranteeing a proper and secure data management
- O5: To carry out a complete demonstration program up to TRL 8 in four different demo-sites, obtaining reliable results on its replicability and ensuring its attractiveness for European stakeholders .The integrated demonstration program has been designed considering the complementarities among
- O6: To identify and analyse the needs and shortfalls of the distribution grid as well as the obstacles to innovation under the current local and international context and regulation framework.
- O7: To raise awareness among citizens and other relevant stakeholders of the transition towards a low carbon economy considering them as an active player in the energy system.
- O8: To ensure the exploitation of the project results by developing a corresponding business plan as well as their dissemination by exchanging knowledge with other projects under the BRIDGE Initiative.
- CIRCE will be the project Coordinator, seeking for a coordinated and effective implementation of the project activities and the maximum impacts during and after the project. In practical terms, CIRCE will be responsible for leading FLEXIGRID management structure and chairing the General Assembly (decision-making body) and Steering Committee (execution body). As well, CIRCE will be present in all the decision committees of the Project.
- CIRCE will be the tasks Leader in T2.3, Definition of KPIs for the project monitoring and evaluation plan development. Also, will be involved in task 2.5, Customer´s research data handling, management and protection.
- In WP3, CIRCE Will be Tasks Leader in T3.3, Smartening of the grid architecture via Energy Box deployment and in Task 3.4, Simulation environments with different RES share penetration through RTDS and analyses of protective system performance.
- CIRCE will be the Responsible of WP4. In particular, CIRCE will be focused on the development of algorithms and software to improve the flexibility of the grid, such as algorithms to improve operation, fault detection and self-healing at medium voltage; improved control technologies. CIRCE will also play an active role in the demonstration in Spain, providing support to Viesgo about the different use cases and achievement of the defined KPIs.
- In WP5, CIRCE will be the task leader in T5.2, Protocols and standards, interoperability and FLEXIGRID CIM.
- In WP6, CIRCE will be also involved in all tasks supporting the development of the demonstration’s campaigns.
- In WP7, guarantees of replication, CIRCE will be the tasks leader T7.1, Impact assessment and analysis of the use cases replication potential in Europe. During this task, CIRCE will coordinate the partners involved in the demonstration campaigns to contrast the potential impacts that each Use Case and the overall FLEXIGRID project could have in other regions of Europe. In this sense, CIRCE will assess the impacts reached during the project execution and will compare them with the ones expected before the beginning of the project.
- In WP8, Business cases and exploitation strategies, will be involve in all tasks of this WP